Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Trying too Hard

There is so much to do. Work – Make Money – Buy Stuff – Pay Bills – Clean Stuff – Sell Stuff – Work – Make Money. There is so much to do in the economy of capitalism.

There is not enough time. Family – Friends – Lovers – Our Community – Our favorite Restaurants and Coffee Shops – A Good Book. There is not enough time to love, rest and enjoy.

There is more to do. Pray – Go to Church – Give Money – Do Good Works – Learn about God – Read the Bible – Grow Spiritually. There is so much to do in the economy of religion.

I think I’m trying a little bit too hard lately. I’m betting you know the feeling. Sifting through the hours in my day and wanting to be accountable for my time. Hoping to spend more of it occupied with the Holy. Realizing that by “spending” time I’ve turned it into a commodity. And it doesn’t feel so Holy. More like hole-y. A calendar filled with holes cut out from hours lost to worry or waste.

Time to stop trying so hard. Today anyway.